Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Why a blog?

I am a long time blogger. My regular blog consists of the adventures my family gets itself involved in -from backpacking to boating to snowshoeing to rescuing kayakers and people stranded on the side of the road.

Included in those adventures was my daughters dyslexia diagnosis at age 8.

Since I am a MBA trained businesswoman, I threw myself into understanding dyslexia like I would any business problem. I gathered data, organized that data and developed a strategy and action plan for dealing with the diagnosis. My plan included long term and short term goals and a strategy for getting to those goals.

Part of my plan was to ensure that my daughter saw dyslexia as something positive and that her dyslexia did not affect her self esteem and confidence.

In addition, I felt that it was important to share our knoweledge and journey with others so that we can educate people on learning differences (and help eliminate the stigma) and help others who might be having the same experiences. To that end, my friends and family started asking me if I would speak to friends or relatives of theirs who were having similar experiences with their children.

I happily do so everytime I am asked and hope that it helps. In fact, my daughter and I feel like we are so fortunate to be able to help her that we need to give back and feel like it is our jobs to help others with dyslexia. We always say...."if we can only help make their lives a little easier...".

When reaching out to these folks, I always look back at my notes so that I can be sure to accurately share our experiences and provide the best resources I have found. In doing so, I often thought, there has got to be a better way.....thus the "dyslexia mom" blog was born.

With it, I plan to provide our experiences (good and bad) in hopes that it will help other families. I will also provide my favorite resources and tips.

So stay tuned and share this resource with those who need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment